Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has ocular drainage and she wets wets her paw and

Customer Question

Hi. My dog has ocular drainage and she wets wets her paw and then rrubs her face and eyes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy, 14 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?
Customer: Not really, very healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Is it both eyes or one? What color is the discharge?

Any redness to the eye or swelling of the tissues around the eye?

Any coughing or sneezing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2 months
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that if Roxy has been irritated with her eyes for 2 months, then I am quite concerned. This could be related to a persistent allergy, conjunctivitis (if the discharge is snotty), dry eye (where they have snotty discharge because they cannot make tears) or issues with the tear ducts.

Now with this going on for so long, we'd really want to consider a check with her vet when they are open. They can test for infection, tear duct issues, and make sure she is making tears as she should. That way we can address this effectively for her. Otherwise,in the meantime, we can start some supportive care. To start, we can try to remove any irritants in the eye and reduce any bacterial accumulation by flushing the eyes with sterile saline. OTC eye safe options would be first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. This can be used 2-3 times a day for her.

Otherwise, to address any allergies causing her to tear and rub her eyes, you can consider trying an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, we do need to tread with care if her eyes have been irritated for so long. Therefore, we'd want to use the above to rule out allergies and keep her comfortable. As well, if she is rubbing an ecollar from the pet store can also be used to protect the eyes. Though if these signs linger, we'd need to consider a check up to make sure we head off those other concerns and get them addressed for her.

Please take care,

Dr .B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Few months, lately green puss and black
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

If that is the color you are seeing, then infection and dry eye are even more concerns for Roxy. So, we can use the above to try to keep her comfortable over the weekend; but will need this checked once her vet is open to clear infection and make sure she hasn't any compromise to her natural tear production.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet