Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She is a 5 ye old miniature poodle and i woke up to watery

Customer Question

She is a 5 ye old miniature poodle and i woke up to watery diarrhea with bright red blood in it. She's acting fine now but I wanted to do some research
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the miniature poodle's name?
Customer: Katie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Katie?
Customer: She's a nervous dog and just had her hair done yesterday. She really hated that. Her diet hasn't changed. And she's drinking normal amounts of water
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

The bloody diarrhea (hematochezia) must often indicates a hemorrhagic colitis but doesn't identify the etiology of that colitis. It would seem to be an excessive response to the stress of grooming but perhaps she ingested a grooming product that has irritated her gastrointestinal tract. As long as she remained normal otherwise, "watchful waiting" is appropriate. A simple dietary indiscretion should remiss unaided within 36 hours. I would feed and water as usual.

There are more possible etiolgoies for hematochezia that I could list in this venue but the general categories include idiopathic (unknown cause), food allergy, infectious (Campylobacter, Clostridium, hookworms, whipworms), inflammatory bowel disease, fiber-responsive, and stress-associated colitises. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.