PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I came home to a coughing dog, anything I can give m until I

Customer Question

I came home to a coughing dog, anything I can give him until I can get him into a Vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bogie, around 14yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bogie?
Customer: Does have allergies
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Good morning and thanks for your question. If he's coughing and has allergies, the two may be linked. If he's not already taking antihistamines for allergies, this may help him greatly. There are lots of antihistamines available to people that can also be used in dogs. The most common is benadryl. You can use 2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl by mouth every 8-12 hours for symptoms. If you do not have benadryl in your home, try this link to others that are available for usage and their dosing:

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.