Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He has diabetes and is shaking and panting I tested m with

Customer Question

he has diabetes and is shaking and panting I tested him with my meter and his level was 460. he ate about an hour ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jake
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  drgdvm replied 5 months ago.

A blood glucose of 460 before or after eating? Has your veterinarian recently performed a glucose curve on your dog to make sure your dose is appropriate? If your dog's blood glucose was 460 before eating, this may suggest that your dog's diabetes is NOT being controlled with his current insulin dosage. Because diabetes is such a serious condition, and the fact that your dog is demonstrating abnormal behavior, I would suggest taking your dog to be seen as soon as possible by a veterinarian.