Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dog just ate an ant trap with .05% indoxacarb, Harper, 5

Customer Question

My dog just ate an ant trap with .05% indoxacarb
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harper, 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harper?
Customer: Mixed breed, half wheaten/half tibetan
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Can you tell me if the dog swallowed the trap itself?

How many pounds is the dog?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
40 lbs. She didn't swallow it, but ripped it open.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not worried about any plastic she might have ingested, I found the trap.... Just the poison.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

You have dodged a bullet. The plastic is more of a problem then what is inside. I am very familiar with Ant Traps and have checked the MSDS sheets.

The contents if ingested will not cause poisoning to pets. We have found they are low toxicity and do not carry any ill effects for dogs. There is a large margin of safety in the use of these ant traps.

If a large amount of the plastic was ingested, then we would have a problem. In this case it does not sound like it would be an issue.

I would still monitor your dog for any gastrointestinal upset and follow up with your Vet.

If there is any problems with her stomach, you can start a bland diet of boiled skinless chicken breast and white rice for a couple of days to keep the stomach rested. She should be fine.