Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Toothache with bad smell and we're traveling, Ginger 3 mini

Customer Question

Toothache with bad smell and we're traveling
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ginger 3 mini dachshund. She had two baby teeth pulled few months ago bc didn't fall out and she did same thing then.
JA: How old is Ginger?
Customer: 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

Is Ginger still eating/drinking normally?

Is there any swelling in her mouth?

What is the name of the city/state where you are currently?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Eating and drinking normal. No swelling. Raleigh NC but traveling to remote mountain area. Unable to get her to vet until Monday
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

So it's just the bad breath?
Is she drooling at all?

Is she acting differently than normal?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No drooling. She's pawing at side of mouth where she had baby teeth pulled about 2 months ago. Breath fishy smell...very strong. She's a quieter and clingier.
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can really do to treat this on your own. You could try 1 baby aspirin (only aspirin....we never use products containing acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen sodium in dogs as they can be toxic even in very small amounts) once every 10 hours if she's really uncomfortable.

That being said....if she develops a fever, stops eating/drinking, becomes increasingly painful, or you notice any swelling in her face, then you should find her an emergency vet where you are. You can go to: ***** ***** plug in the zip code of where you are and they'll point you in the direction of the one closest to you.

If she does well through the weekend, then on Monday you should absolutely give a vet a call and have them take a peek, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If she has something stuck like piece of food or if area looks puffy inside. We're going to check it this evening. Can we clean it with hydrogen peroxide or anything topical?
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

I wouldn't. Peroxide is used to induce vomiting in dogs, so if you get it in her mouth, you could actually trigger her to vomit.

Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?