Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

I think my dog might have a foxtail in her back paw. Its

Customer Question

I think my dog might have a foxtail in her back paw. Its doesnt seem to hurt her but there is puffiness. I know I should take her to the vet but dont have the money right now...what can I do at home to help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Might?
Customer: she is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Might?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

You can try soaking her paw 2-3 times daily in warm water mixed with Epsom salts, for 5-10 minutes at a time. You can use a ziplock baggie or small bowl for the soaks. After soaking, blot the foot dry with a clean towel. Use a cone to prevent her from licking the paw, if needed.

If a foxtail is present, there is a small chance it will work its way out. However, it is more likely that she will need to be seen by her veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication, and possible surgical explore of the area to try and remove the foxtail.

Has this helped? If so, please provide a rating so that I may be compensated for helping you today. I hope she feels better soon!