Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My Border Collie has a problem with fungal infs. I have had

Customer Question

My Border Collie has a problem with fungal infs. I have had him to the vet 5 times. He gives me antibiotic meds but they only seem tohelp for a short time. Now my dog appears to have a sore throat...he is lethargic and coughs a lot. He sometimes brings up white phlegm type stuff. Another thing he never ate grass before and now we can barely stop him. Does he have thrush andcan I treat it over thecounter. I am 70 y.o.and vet bills are hard on my pension. Thanks Bessie
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bessie?
Customer: I may be imagining it but he appears to be hoarse when he tries to talk to us
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Where do the fungal infections originate on the body?
2) Have any anti-fungal meds been tried? If so, what?
3) When did the coughing start?
4) Is he boarded, groomed, visit the dog park or doggy daycare?
5) How old is he?
6) How are his eating habits?
7) How is his stool quality?