Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a pregnant dog which is 10 days till her due date and

Customer Question

I have a pregnant dog which is 10 days till her due date and she has been drinking excessively and panting excessively
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ellie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: ok
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Angie, drinking more than usual (polydipsia) and subsequent urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), pyometra, hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Ellie's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying. Hopefully, she simply drinking (and eating) more because she's feeding more than herself at this time. How old is Ellie, please? Most of those differential diagnoses can be ruled out if she's a young dog.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is 3 years old and this is her first litter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't notice much of urinating frequently, but she is drinking a lot more. No odor or colored discharge coming from her. Her appetite is not as big as it use to be though.

Thank you. I would have Ellie's vet perform a basic blood panel and ultrasound of Ellie's uterus. Can you take her rectal temperature and tell me what it is? Normal is 100.5-102.5F. Any body thermometer placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute will do.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Temp is 100.2

Thank you. That's a good indication that infection isn't present. Please continue our conversation if you wish.