Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She develops red small spots on tomgue, they must itch as

Customer Question

She develops red small spots on tomgue, they must itch as she extends her tongue out and in and these develop into bumps with raw palaces on top and they swell, looks like a small longated island, have been taking her to Dr. and he is treating her but doesn't know what it is
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Trixie approx 6 years old best I can tell, she is a stray, for a picture go to facebook under Harold Hogue and she is in a picture in my lap
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trixie?
Customer: She , inthe past has had seizures from flea med. Dr. gave her new one recent and no problems before that it has been over a year since she had flea med
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Has Trixie's tongue been biopsied? Eosinophilic glossitis (inflammation of the tongue which is infiltrated with the white blood cell eosinophil) should be an important differential diagnosis in such a patient. It would be expected to be glucocorticosteroid-responsive; in other words, effectively treated with prednisone. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.