How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19515
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 7.5 lb Yorkie- Sophie Mae, May have eaten a red grape or

Customer Question

My 7.5 lb Yorkie- Sophie Mae, May have eaten a red grape or two. We had our usual Wednesday night bible study meal, & I caught her Chewing, & Hope it was just the vine piece I took away from her! Everyone KNOWS to be careful because of our 2 pooches! Should I give her diluted peroxide in water?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. As long as it was only one or two grapes then I would not be too worried, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre says " the lowest documented toxic raisin dose is 0.1 oz/kg and 10 to 12 grapes in a 20 pound dog. Raisins are 4.5 times more concentrated than grapes on an oz per oz basis. " But you can read the whole article here : LINK

2. So from the above as long as your dog did not eat more than three grapes she should be just fine but if you have any concerns on this point one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the grapes that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

3. But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sophie Mae is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the grapes incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.