Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Have a new Catahoula cur puppy with blue eyes he gets around

Customer Question

have a new Catahoula cur puppy with blue eyes he gets around ok but his eyes don't blinki
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mac
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mac?
Customer: I heard blue eyes and white heads usually have some health issues one of the other pups have extra toe on hind feet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question. Do you have video showing how he gets around as well as an extended duration focusing on his eyes so that I may see what you're seeing.

In many breeds, white color and breeding merles together (catahoulas are often blue leopard with blue eyes) can result in a partially to fully blind and/or deaf dog. There may be some additional testing and help that this pup needs to lead a normal life.

Also, when was his last exam with your vet?

How old is he?