Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She just started limping and it appears it is her right

Customer Question

She just started limping and it appears it is her right front leg. She has good range of motion in all legs, and does not wince while moving her. She is around 19 or 20 lb. Lhaso apso.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I don't see any, but now I think it's her left front leg.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lucy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: No, it's sad though, today is her 9th Bday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Just to be clear how many days has she been limping for?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She just started approximately 3 hours ago, Can she have a baby aspirin-81 mg.?

Hello again

Sorry to hear Lucy has this problem however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Only three hours? Great, hopefully this is something minor. If this is just a simple strain or sprain then with luck a couple of days rest and then a gradual return to exercise combined with an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin may well resolve things.

2. On a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is in any case sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications etc. : LINK

A 20 pound dog would get { 20 X 5 } = 100 mg or one and a quarter of your 81 mg baby aspirin twice a day.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her limping ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?