Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Pug, 2 years old, spayed. has been lethargic, not eating and

Customer Question

Pug, 2 years old, spayed. has been lethargic, not eating and I just notice dark blood in urine. Was fine on Monday morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Emily
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emily?
Customer: no. has been very active and eating well until monday evening
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll wait for your online response. thank you.

No problem, just typing out your answer now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. What you are dealing with sounds very like a urinary tract infection { UTI } also called cystitis, this is a common cause of blood in the urine of spayed female dogs and with a more severe UTI it is also possible that they will be lethargic and not eating as well. However be aware that other diagnosis are possible ...

2. Uncomplicated UTIs usually respond well to a course of antibiotics or other prescription drugs. While there are home remedies that some owners use in this sort of situation they really are more suitable for very minor cases where the dog is otherwise quite bright. But it would also be a good idea to encourage her to drink as much as possible by giving her dilute milk or any drink that she will like.

3. So really the bot***** *****ne is that you should have Emily checked over by your vet at the first possible opportunity but in the meantime I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What are causes the UTI.

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further.

In female dogs the usual cause is an ascending bacterial infection, this disease is very much more common in female dogs than male dogs since the urethra { The tube from the bladder to the outside } is very much more shorter in females. It is just one of those things really, but thankfully often easily resolved with a course of antibiotics.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Emily is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect UTI ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.