Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Accidental ingestion of 1/2 mg of ropinirole, Vomiting

Customer Question

Accidental ingestion of 1/2 mg of ropinirole
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Vomiting excessive salivation
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Some dog food and people food in the first round of vomit. No pill pieces evident
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Precious 5 y/o 6 lbs
JA: How old is Precious?
Customer: 5 y/o
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Precious?
Customer: Good health otherwise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry for the delay. There's a paucity of information concerning toxicity of this drug in dogs. We'll have to interpolate from mice and rats and the news is good. The median lethal dose for mice was 300 mg/lb and for rats was 400 mg/kg. The most I would expect is transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea in Precious. There's no specific antidote and she has already vomited and so no further treatment is necessary unless vomiting continued unabated and she would then need fluid and electrolyte replacement by an on-call vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?