Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 5 lb Yorkie got shoved off of a couch the other day and

Customer Question

My 5 lb Yorkie got shoved off of a couch the other day and ever since then every time he barks he ends up screaming like he's in pain and winches, his front legs are a little shakey and he doesn't want to jump on anything which is unusual, his back legs seem to be just fine though
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tuffy he's 6years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tuffy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tuffy?
Customer: No he's been healthy other than this
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear Tuffy has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

The reluctance to jump and screaming after barking has me concerned that there may have been an injury to his neck when he feel off the couch. When we see injury to the cervical spine this will often cause problems with the front legs and since the head tends to go slightly up and down when barking, they can seem painful when barking.

This could be inflammation, slipping of or compression of a disc in the neck. If he is still able to walk I do not think it is something as serious as a rupture and hopefully it is something that steroids/anti inflammatory meds and rest will resolve. Small dogs can develop a disc injury fairly easily.

Because this may be related to a spinal injury I would suggest having him seen by a vet as soon as possible. If you can get him in today would be best. The sooner a spinal injury is addressed the better chance for full recovery.

I hope this helps give you some direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I would be happy to help.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating. If you do not receive a rating prompt please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried feeling all over his body to see if I can find any tender spots and I haven't been successful but when I flip him over on his back he seems really uncomfortable and his front legs shake slightly. He seems like he's in pain and isn't as happy and isn't playing or running around as much as usual
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Ok this does sound like a spinal injury. If your vet is still open today I would get him in. If not I would keep him as still as possible. No running, long walks and try not to flip him over or this could cause further damage. Keep him as still and quiet as possible

Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I just wanted to check in and see how Tuffy was doing.