Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

My Boston has had a nose bleed plus weeks we to m to the vet

Customer Question

My Boston has had a nose bleed for 2 plus weeks we to him to the vet they said it was alergies but he has been on the antihistamine since then with little to no help his nose is very sensitive when I wipe him clean it's a very red mucous filled and he try's to sneez to clear his nose and sprays blood everywhere he's an older boy at 14 years little deaf little blind but other than that ok shape
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zeus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zeus?
Customer: Because of the bleeding he has a hard time breathing through his nose
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

There are several different possibilities here, one of which is allergic rhinitis (allergies causing inflammation and bleeding from the nasal passages). Other possibilities include an inhaled nasal foreign body (like a grass awn or other plant material), severe dental disease, a fungal nasal infection (fairly rare), a blood clotting problem (fairly rare as well), and, unfortunately, a tumor of the nasal passage. It can be difficult to diagnose what the cause of nasal bleeding is without advanced diagnostics, including rhinoscopy (using a tiny camera to go in through the nostril to visualize the nasal passages) and biopsy (collecting sample of tissue from nasal passage and submitting to lab for diagnosis). An x-ray can also be performed to see if there is bone loss from nasal turbinates. This type of testing usually has to be done with a specialist who has the correct equipment. If this is not an option, or if you do not wish to pursue these tests, there are other medications to try to treat the symptoms of nose bleeds, such as yunnan bai yao- which is a Chinese herbal that can help control bleeding a lot, as well as epinephrine to be used in the nose during severe episodes. These medications may help control bleeding, but if there is an underlying cause such as tumor or other more serious problem, it may continue to progress. Has this helped?

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Please don't forget to take a moment to provide a rating!

Please provide a rating for me so I can receive credit for helping you out, thank you!

Hi there, just wanted to check in and see how your dog is doing?