Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Scratching around her mouth and above her left eye till she

Customer Question

Scratching around her mouth and above her left eye till she bleeds. It started right after dental surgery and teeth cleaning in March so we thought that was the culprit. It lasted for three weeks so then we switched her food early April. We then started her on frontline but she is still doing this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jinx
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jinx?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. scratching around the face is usually an indication of airborne allergies. You may also see the dog licking the feet with such allergies. You may actually be looking at a combo of food and airborne allergies but having changed the food in April may not be enough time for the dog's system to work through it. It can take up to 6 months or more before you see relief from a food allergy and only if you are cutting out the food the dog is allergic to. Most are allergic to grains, chicken, beef, and lamb.

I would talk to your vet about Apoquel for allergies and see if that stops the scratching, If so, you know you are dealing with allergies for sure. Aside from allergy testing which is expensive, there is no way to know the culprit but March would start many airborne allergies so it may be coincidence that the teeth were cleaned and the allergy started.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.