petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

Need alternative infection, Simplicef, She's been prescribed

Customer Question

Need alternative for Simpkicef for skin infection for dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Simplicef
JA: How old is Symploce?
Customer: She's been prescribed this last 6 months for ongoing chronic skin infections she's 12 has chronic allergies but gets frequent ear n skin infections . Everytime I take her they give her his and an anti fungal . But I just can't talk she this week due to finances
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Symploce?
Customer: She was a rescue just chronic skin allergies and ear infections secondary to chronic allergies they said t was from her being left outside prior to adoption but my oldest was in the hospital last 3 months and I lost a lot of work so I am really in not good shape to take her his week . tryimg to see if there is a comparable drug to help her ears
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Simplicef is used to treat bacterial skin infections, but does nothing for the ear infections. Ear infections, even if bacteria are involved, need to be treated with topical ear medications, like ointments. There really are no over the counter ear medications to do that. As far as the skin, there is not an over the counter antibiotic alternative to treat her skin, but you may be able to help with a medicated shampoo. An antiseptic shampoo from the pet store can decrease the bacteria and yeast if they are present. I like the product called Hexedene® because it contains chlorhexidine which is effective on bacteria and yeast. There is also a "leave-on" product called Resi-chlor® with similar ingredients that can be used on the lesions themselves and in some cases, may be all that is needed.

If she is not getting relief, and you have to seek veterinary intervention, here is a link that may help to at least spread out the cost.

Care credit (veterinary):

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a chlorhexidine glaucoma/ anti fungal shampoo that does help. I just ordered Zymox which has helped her ears but her skin has some patches especially where she chews on her paws ... She licks the topical anti fungal off . I have cephalexin 500 from a script for my daughter she couldn't take and I know it's sometimes an alternative I wanted to s we if it was safe for her to take . She gets larger patches on her stomach . But everytime I've brought her in they usually combine that with the ear drops .
Expert:  petdrz. replied 4 months ago.

Cephalexin is sometimes prescribed for dogs, but I cannot recommend using that as I have not examined her and do not know if that is an appropriate choice for her currently, especially in light of all of the antibiotic resistance problems we are seeing in people and pets with methicillin resistant bacteria (MRSA). I would suggest that you call the vet that has treated her in the past and see if they would be able to make any recommendations for you. I am sorry I can't be of more help, but using an inappropriate antibiotic may be actually doing more harm than good.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you! Sorry for the autocorrect the chlorhexidine gluconate is what I meant
Expert:  petdrz. replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome and I figured as much on the shampoo.

Another topical treatment that is often used to treat bacterial or yeast skin infections and will certainly do no harm is dakin's solution. LINK HERE

I would start with the 1/2 strength and use on the areas with lesions daily until you can seek veterinary intervention.