Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 7 lb Yorkie has ingested 20 mg baclofen. Is there a

Customer Question

My 7 lb Yorkie has ingested 20 mg baclofen. Is there a counter drug?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Is my baby going to die
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Vomiting, electric shocks like hiccups salivating extreme thirst
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Baclofen has been used in dogs so it is not toxic to them as such, however the usual dose rate is up to 1 mg per kg of body weight so 20 mg is a clear overdose for your 3.18 kg dog.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to quickly induce vomiting then you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay. Dogs are very sensitive to Baclofen, and it doesn't take a very large dose to be toxic. Read more about Baclofen overdose and treatment via this link : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again, I see your dog is already vomiting and showing other symptoms,

Please take your dog to an ER vet without delay, there is nothing you can hope to do on a home remedy basis ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Baclofen ingestion...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.