PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog Isaac is a very new rescue. He came with advanced HW

Customer Question

Hi Pearl- my dog Isaac is a very new rescue. He came with advanced HW and has since had his injections but deals with the cough and heavy breathing so I feel the need to be very watchful of him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. How old is Isaac?
Customer: 2-3. Isaac started bleeding from his mouth about 30 mins ago while playing with a very rough bone ... The blood is constant and I can see it has pooled under his tongue but I cannot find the source, if it's a cut or coming from internally. He's not coughing, which is reassuring, he is constantly licking at his pe which makes me think he may just have a cut. What is more likely? A cut or something more complicated and urgent?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Isaac?
Customer: No - that's everything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Very rarely do dogs cut themselves by chewing on bones in such a fashion that they need emergency care. We usually recommend allowing them to drink some cold water (ice cubes are fine, too) to reduce the blood flow to that area and allow the area to clot. We can see small cuts under the tongue, around the gum line and so forth. This typically resides quickly, but it can take some time for larger cuts because the mouth is very vascular.

I would wait at least 30 minutes before becoming concerned if this is a minor bleed.

If, however, he actively has flowing blood from his mouth, I'd head to the ER promptly, as its likely he's lacerated a larger vessel that may need to be ligated to stop the bleeding. Again, this is very rare in dogs and it doesn't sound like that is what you're describing.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is Isaac doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy