Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My dog may have ate a 125mg of depakote he is 50 lbs, My dog

Customer Question

My dog may have ate a 125mg of depakote he is 50 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if May will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about May?
Customer: My dog ate a 125mf of depakote and he weighs 50lbs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow may have ingested 125mgs of Depakote (valproic acid).

This drug is sometimes used in combination with other drugs in dogs with resistant seizures.

The usual dose is 15mgs to 100mgs per pound of body weight per day, divided into 3 doses or 5mgs to 33mgs per pound of body weight per dose.

If your fellow is 50 pounds and he ingested 125mgs then he took 2.5mgs per pound of body weight, less than a usual dose.

This one time dose is unlikely to be an issue for him. Side effects may be hyperactivity and we do need to be careful giving it to dogs with heart or liver disease.

I think your fellow should be fine, even if he did ingest this at the dose he ate.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****