Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My min pin month has been coughing like trying hack

Customer Question

my min pin for past month has been coughing like trying hack something up and weezes especially when gets excited.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rocky and about 15
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?
Customer: hasnt been to vet in prolly 4 years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. If it sound like something is caught in the throat and the episodes come on randomly and dissappear just as quickly, maybe lasting a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes you may be looking at a reverse sneeze which is pretty common in dogs. This is thought to be brought on by an allergy. Most notice it in a change of seasons, but it can happen any time of year. This is not something to worry about.

Because this is a Min Pin there is another ailment which would be more serious and it sounds similar to reverse sneezing and this would be a collapsed trachea which would need to be identified by your vet.

I am going to direct you to a site on both reverse sneezing and collape trachea for further reading and to make an informed decision .

Reverse sneeze video

Reverse sneeze : Dr K Becker

Collapse trachea