Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I think she might have trichinosis a friend gave her a bear

Customer Question

I think she might have trichinosis a friend gave her a bear bone that wasn't cool good. I took it away when I saw the bone was bloody and told what kind of bone it was. Don't know how much of the bloody meat she had eaten. Been a week an now she has a very tunnie stool the or four times a day. She is a small dog. I don't want to loose her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Laya and she is two been very good health untill this
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leia?
Customer: Layla's stomach seem bloated a bit and she seems to jerk around in her sleep more
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

In the great majority of cases of trichinosis in dogs, dogs remain asymptomatic. Should Lyla have ingested the larvae of the worm Trichinella spiralis, it would take 2-8 weeks for those larvae to migrate out of Lyla's gastrointestinal tract, throughout her body, and eventually into her muscles at which time dogs (and people) become seriously symptomatic (muscle pain) Gastrointestinal distress as you've noted can arise within days of ingestion of these larvae, however. That said, I would look for another reason for Layla's diarrhea and apparent bloating - perhaps a bacterial contaminant in that bear bone which should be treated with an appropriate antibiotic.

You can pursue the diagnosis of trichinosis, however. This is done with routine laboratory tests include a complete blood count, biochemical profile, urinalysis and a fecal examination. The complete blood count may show a high number of a type of white blood cells (WBCs) called eosinophils (eosinophilia), which are typically found in the blood as a response to allergies or in response to parasitic infections. If the fecal sample shows evidence of roundworm fragments, a follow-up series of fecal testing may be required for confirmation of the diagnosis. As these parasites end up in the muscles, a biopsy of muscle may be taken to find the parasite in the muscles - rarely done unless muscle pain arises, however.

Presumptive worming with fenbendazole (Panacur) is reasonable at this time. You can find Panacur over the counter in pet/feed stores. Three consecutive days of this drug are indicated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?