PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

May have been bitten by a skunk last night.. He had skunk in

Customer Question

May have been bitten by a skunk last night.. He had skunk in his mouth and shaking it. I cleaned the dog.. He had shots in December and we are starting antibiotics., what should we do next?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, a little last night but it stopped.. He also rolled a lot and could be a sore. Should we quarantine? We have 2 other dogs
JA: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Pancreatitis but under control
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Remmi age 9
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: We live on 80 acres of orchards 9our dogs were sprayed 3 times last summer
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Am I correct in my understanding that Remmi is current on rabies vaccines through your veterinarian and that they were administered in December 2015? Was this confirmed through your vet's office?

2) Was the raccoon killed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was a skunk. I don't know if it was killed. I didn't stay and check. Vaccine confirmed

Whoops! You're right, I mistyped.

So long as the vaccines are current, you do not need to quarantine Remmi. Quarantine is reserved for dogs who have an unknown history of vaccines or an expired rabies vaccine who either injure people or are exposed to a potentially positive animal. The rabies vaccine, because it is current, protects Remmi from the potential exposure to rabies through the encounter with the skunk. There should be nothing more to do than ensure that Remmi does not acquire an infection from the potential bite. Since you are starting antibiotics, the risks of this are diminished.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Checking in. How is Remmi doing?