Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 6 1/2 year old female pug has started slightly bleeding

Customer Question

My 6 1/2 year old female pug has started slightly bleeding in the middle of every month. We find it in her urine (she leaves a puddle in the house, which is very atypical behavior for her). We've had her to the vet each time, and he has tested her urine, taken both an x-Ray and ultrasound if her bladder, and found nothing. Could this possibly be vaginal bleeding?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is an otherwise healthy pug, eating and behaving normally.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I can't ignore that she has urinated inappropriately at the same time hematuria (blood in the urine) appears. This would indicate that the blood originates in her urinary tract rather than her vagina although a bacterial vaginitis can certainly arise secondary to a bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI). Can you tell me, please, if a bacterial culture and sensitity has been performed on uine obtained by cystocentesis (percutaneous aspiration of her bladder through her abdominal wall) at the time she has been hematuric - even if a urinalysis didn't reveal other evidence of a UTI - abnormal numbers of white blood cells or bacteria in the urine?

Has a vaginal cytology been performed looking for changes in tthe vaginal cells typical of estrus (heat) when she's hematuric? Is there evidence of estrus - a swollen vulva at these times? If she's spayed, I would need to consider the ovarian remnant syndrome - a small piece of ovary was left in her abdomen when she was spayed. If she's not spayed, an ovarian cyst needs to be considered.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?