PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My Dog squats multiple times to Poop and passes stool in

Customer Question

My Dog squats multiple times to Poop and passes stool in bits and pieces
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cocker (Lexi), 12 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lexi?
Customer: She is on Prescription Hill diet I/D for a long time as she has IBD.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have a photo to share of this lump?
2) When you feel it, does it feel soft or hard?
3) How large is it?
4) Has it changed in size since you located it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It usually starts with formed stool followed by multiple passing that are softer and small quantity. No I don't have a picture.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

JAcustomer, thanks for your reply. Apparently the website is having some issues today. This response was for an entirely different question. Let's start all over again, for this reason.

How long has Lexi been on the I/D diet?
Are you using the canned or kibble?
The softer quantity that you're seeing, would you consider this normal stool?
Are you feeding any other food or treats to Lexi?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
More than a year. Using the canned food along with W/D kibbles to add bulk to her diet. The soft stool looks normal but they are like a string. No treats only additional foods are apple pieces and occasionally blue-berry.

How can I best help you today? Are you hoping to find a way to avoid the "stringy" appearance to the stool?

Has your vet discussed correspondence with a company that works with homemade diets? These often work better than commercial diets for pets who still have symptoms of their illness despite feeding what should be an appropriate food.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wanted to know the reason for such symptom and the cure for it.

Unfortunately, "cure" may not be possible. "Control", however, may be a much better description. It's all about finding what works for each pet.

IBD is an inflammatory condition of the bowels that commonly results in symptoms that vary from chronic GI upset to diarrhea. This is why your vet has recommended I/D and W/D. Many of these types of bowel issues are responsive to fiber. It's been my experience that a totally different approach, one with limited ingredients, more protein and less fiber, tends to yield better stool quality that's more dependable. That said, in many cases, we have to stick 100% to a diet that works (can can't add in new things like apples or blueberries no matter how much the pet enjoys them).

I would recommend looking at and working with them, along with your vet, to formulate a diet for Lexi that is contains novel proteins (turkey, duck, quail, trout, swai, etc), carbohydrates (pumpkin, quinoa, etc). and giving this type of diet a try for a few weeks. These types of diets tend to make it easier to modify small things in the diet until the stool is nearly perfect. In some cases of IBD, a removal of carbohydrates can produce a more firm stool. This may be needed in her case since she's having some stringy appearance to her stool on a more fibrous diet.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Checking in. How is Lexi doing?