Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy was just playing with s ball then randomly spewed

Customer Question

My puppy was just playing with his ball then randomly spewed and is making a sneezing noise but instead of it being one big sneez it's a few harsh ones :(
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Nothing he was playing then spewed and just started sneezing but it's more of a forced sneeze
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's 1 in human years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elliot?
Customer: He is just not breathing as he would normally it's a bit of a persistent wind noise and he keeps rubbing his nose
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Elliot's signs, we'd be most concerned that he has aspirated a bit of vomit into the nasopharynx (where the back of the nose and mouth meet) or that the tissues there are inflamed from the vomit. As well, with how irritated he is, we also have to be wary of foreign bodies caught in this area or up the back of the soft palate.

With this in mind, as long as he isn’t continuing to vomit, we can try to gently flush the nostrils and back of the nasal passages. To do so, you can use OTC non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist, etc). To administer, you can tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. They hate this, but it can help dislodge caught materials and flush away any vomit present.

Afterwards, to just soothe the throat you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. And if you think he still has nausea, you can also consider using an OTC liquid antacid like Milk of Magnesia (0.25 tsp every 8 hours) as well.

Though if you try this and his signs persist, then we'd need to plan to have him seen by his vet. They can remove anything caught and start dog safe anti-inflammatories to counter any inflammation or irritation of that nasopharynx and the nasal passage to get him settled and back to normal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )