PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

8 week old puppy cannot pee, trying to pee few hours no

Customer Question

8 week old puppy cannot pee
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: trying to pee for a few hours no urine coming out
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: ??? just crying and trying to pee
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kitten
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kitten?
Customer: 8 week old puppy who cannot get any urine out. was fine hours earlier and had no difficulty urinating
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Are you noticing any urine coming out at all or absolutely nothing?
2) Any blood around the genitals?
3) Any injury to this puppy recently?
4) How is the activity level aside from the urinary concern?
5) Still eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Puppy keeps trying to urinate and at times gets out maybe a drop or two,
No blood
No injury I know of.
She is tired but unable to sleep,
sounds like in pain.
yes, she is eating and drinking fine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is that all I get for the money thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO

I apologize, JACustomer. The website did not alert me that you had responded. I am here now.

There are two concerns here. The first is that she has a urinary tract infection and it's painful to urinate (thus, wanting to avoid the action). This is often treated with antibiotics and pain medication. However, it's much more concerning when a dog cannot urinate due to something being wrong with their body.

I would highly recommend a physical exam for her. If she were my own dog, I would take her to the ER this evening to be absolutely certain that there is not something majorly wrong keeping her from being able to urinate. If this turns out only to be a urinary tract infection, they can give her medications to reduce her discomfort and allow her to be able to urinate without discomfort.

Again, I apologize for the delay. The turn around time is usually much faster, but I did not receive an alert. If you have further questions, I'll be standing by.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, how is she doing today?