Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My females got in a fight, now one of them won't even go

Customer Question

My females got in a fight, now one of them won't even go outside we are keeping them separated but still. The other has a swollen nose and smell icky, I scared for both of them
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Yes we are dog sitting my daughters male German shepard it stasted then I think
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

The swollen nose is abscessing and needs a vet's attention at your earliest convenience. If pus has already formed - and that's likely if it smells icky - an abscess will need to be lanced, flushed, and debrided (devitalized tissue removed) and either left often to drain or a drain placed in the wound. A systemic antibiotic will be prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.