Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 40lb lab dog mix just ate a 20mg benazapril tablet, Bear

Customer Question

Our 40lb lab bull dog mix just ate a 20mg benazapril tablet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear 7 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: No he is healthy and active
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Benazepril is sometimes prescribed for dogs so it is not toxic to them as such, however a normal dose rate would be up to 0.25 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight, this works out as a top dose of 10 mg for a forty pound dog so 20 mg is clearly an overdose for Bear.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have Bear checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include vomiting, lethargy and incoordination.

4. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the use of this drug in dogs : LINK

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bear's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bear is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Benazepril incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?