Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

The dog is a 8 month shitzu I dropped half a Percocet and

Customer Question

The dog is a 8 month shitzu I dropped half a Percocet and she ate it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Will she be okay
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Sophia
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

How much does Sophia weigh and which strength Percocet (oxycodone + acetaminophen) was it, please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Around 7-8 pounds and it was 1/2 of ten so 5mg

Thank you. I might dose Sophia with as much as 0.2 mg/lb of oxycodone or 1.6 mg. 5 mg is a considerable overdose which will oversedate her and depress her respiratory system. I might dose her with 7 mg/lb of acetaminophen or 50 mg. The 1/2 Percocet contains 160 mg which would be 160 mg/8 lbs or 20 mg/lb which is still safe for her.

I would induce emesis with 2 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed with a small poultry baster between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.

(I couldn't mark your second post as a duplicate. Please contact***@******.*** to have it removed so you won't be charged twice.)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?