Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has kidney failure. She has quit eating and lost a

Customer Question

My dog has kidney failure. She has quit eating and lost a lot of weight. Is there anything that I can do for her to stimulate her appetite? I will try anything before I put her to sleep. I was going to have that done tomorrow, but I want to give her every chance possible.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is Streak. She is 15 1/2.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Streak?
Customer: As of a month ago her heart and lungs were fine. May 27 her BUN was 41 mg, her CREA was 2.4, Phos 8.0, ALKP 494, LIPA5868 and Potassium was 6.0. I don't know if that info helps or not.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Streak. Diuresing her (IV fluids to promote urine production) is the most effective manner in which to remove the toxins her kidneys aren't removing which then should return appetite. The alternative is seeing how either mirtazapine or cyproheptadine affects her appetite. Both are prescription drugs available through Streak's vet. Please note that her May 27th BUN isn't high enough to cause anorexia. Her kidneys have either worsened or a concomitant disorder exists and is causing her anorexia. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.