Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Last night I was walking my 12 year old bichon and he really

Customer Question

Last night I was walking my 12 year old bichon and he really pulled on his harness leash. A little coughing and spitting but then it stopped. But around midnight. He started coughing and making honking sounds. I gave him honey and peanut butter and he slept all night. This morning after going in the fenced backyard, he started again for a few minutes. Now he is still and it has stopped. Is there anything else I can do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is***** is not lethargic he is just resting on a rug.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Banks?
Customer: No he is eating and drinking.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Your boy has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

If he was wearing a harness and not a regular collar then we would not be to worried about the trachea. The coughing/honking noise is often associated with a condition called a reverse sneeze. This is normally not anything to worry about and can be cause by anything at irritates the soft pallet such as pollen, dust, water, etc. If it happened again when he went out today with no harness then I would be suspicious that there may be a high pollen count in your area right now.

You could try a little Benadryl or Zyrtec to see if this helps. Benadryl is dosed at 1mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. Zyrtec at 0.5mgs per pound once daily.

This type of cough can also be associated with kennel cough and in a senior dog we worry that coughing could be the first sign of heart disease. If the problem gets worse or you do not see any change with the allergy meds then I would have him seen by a vet for a hands on exam.

I hope this helps give you some direction.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating to end this session and so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.