Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He is very stiff and seems to be in a lot of pain slow to

Customer Question

He is very stiff and seems to be in a lot of pain slow to move stands still has his head down and tilted high temp and off his food have had him to the vet twice but no out come doing some research think he might have steroid meningitis
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Diesel 16mths
JA: How old is Diesel?
Customer: 16mths
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Diesel?
Customer: He yelps if his head gets bumped and looks really depressed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He has been like this for 6 days just wondering when it is to late to treat them if this is the case his breathing also seams shallow and sharp and his pupils look large but react to light we checked his blood and it clotted fine his white blood cell count was high at 22 they gave him pain killers and antibiotics but no improvement temp has come down slightly
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You may be correct. His symptoms are consistent with a steroid-reponsive arteritis and granulomatous meningoencephalitis particularly if Diesel is a miniature dog. These encephalopathies are a challenge to diagnose without a cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis and MRI which are performed by veterinary specialist neurologists rather than Diesel's generalist vet. It's not to late to see how an immunosuppressive dose of prednisone affects him. A positive effect would prompt my adding other chemotherapeutic drugs to the prednisone because longevity if treated with prednisone alone is very short. A combination of immunosuppressive drugs can resultin remissions of a few years.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is a border collie. So is there something that can be done locally to start with and see the response. you were saying about remission for a few years? Will this be ongoing ?

Yes, his local vet can initiate prednisone at an immunosuppressive dose - 2mg/kg daily. Yes, there are a number of treatment protocols but all are continued indefinitely. Coincident with clinical improvement, one or more drugs can be slowly weaned to lowest possible levels. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?