Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Shitzuh, 5 years old, labored breathing, body shakes as he

Customer Question

Shitzuh , 5 years old , labored breathing , body shakes as he is breathing ,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: Hides under the bed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jack. Breathing in that manner most often indicates a very painful dog such as might be seen with degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") in a 5 year old Shih Tzu or any number of disorders. Primary cardiopulmonary disease can cause such breathing as well and because it's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder, it's important that Jack be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. A thorough physical exam paying particular attention to Jack's back is essential and may suffice in clarifying why he's behaving in that manner. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as X-rays of his spine may be recommended by his vet as well.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?