Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My yorkie has changed where he chooses to go on wee...wee

Customer Question

My yorkie has changed where he chooses to go on wee...wee pads
For months the pads were In the bathroom and he went there all the time
Lately he has chosen to go on the carpet in the eat-in area off the kitchen
Don't understand why? He rarely goes in the bathroom now.
So we put the pads in the eat-in area. He wets there and often times misses
I am very upset.. The rug Is expensive. I don't know what to do?
Please advise
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

How old is your dog?

Is he neutered?

Do you always have him go on wee wee pads or is this something you leave out for him while you work?

Does he still go in the bathroom too or just on the rug?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is 10...he is neutered. Wee wee pads are always out but he goes for walks during the day. He now goes very seldom in the bathroom
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How long will it take for your answer?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Given his age and pattern change in something he has always done the first thing that comes to mind is canine cognitive dysfunction. This is much like human dementia and it comes on gradually with small changes, but the owner mostly notices when the dog starts to urinate inappropriately. Watch for other symptoms such as seeming a bit lost or confused , getting stuck in corners, forgetting what side of the door to go out of, etc.

The next thing that comes to mind is a health problem such as a UTI, Bladder stones, or prostate problems.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I would suggest that you get a urinalysis to determine a problem in the bladder. this is as simple as dropping off a sample of urine for testing to your vet.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Until you have a health screening I would suggest you limit the dogs access to areas you do not want ruined as this sets the dog up to fail and if it is health related he can't help it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Sally
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome. If he were a younger dog I would look at behavior but usually when a well trained dog suddenly has accidents then it is time to look at health.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.