JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-
JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-,
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists
94585309

My dog is laying on s stomach now and as he is breathing

Customer Question

My dog is laying on his stomach now and as he is breathing I'm noticing that his abdomen is moving. I see it on the side. Is that normal? Also when he was on his side as he was breathing I noticed spasms and he was kicking with his back legs. Should I take him to the vet? He is eating and drinking.
Category: Dog
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I do think that Jojo should be evaluated by a veterinarian to try to determine if he is ok, but it does not sound like it needs to be done on an emergency basis tonight as he is still eating and drinking. It can be normal to see the abdomen move a little bit with breathing, but not a lot. And certainly, if he seems to be breathing with effort, that would be cause for concern. Any vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or seeming painful would also be cause for concern and I would recommend being seen on an emergency basis. Hope that helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns- Dr. C