PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Two weeks ago she went bath and hasnt been lift her head

Customer Question

two weeks ago she went for a bath and hasnt been lift her head ever since. She is a 144 lb Newfoundland with arthritis in her front knee and has had surgery on her left back knee (complete replacement) and has torn her right, we have not had surgery on the right. She is on a daily dose of Dermamax and had an adequin shot last week. Her vet saw her last Monday and didnt think there was anything else wrong with her but I know there is something wrong SHe just turned 6
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Libby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Libby?
Customer: No i dont think so she is eating and drinking normally and her bowels and kidneys seem to be working normally
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has she made any improvements in this time?
2) Any video or pictures of how she's holding her head?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She seemed to improve, was definitely showing improvement on Thursday and Friday and then yesterday she seemed worse again. She limps a little on her front knee and right back but this is different.

It sounds to me like it may be different, as well. At her age and size, I worry that she may be experiencing a spasm in her neck. There is more informaiton here over that condition: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_intervertebral_disc_disease

Because she is already on dermaxx and adequan, it may be time to talk to your veterinarian about adding in a meidcation like tramadol, gabapentin, amantidine and also a muscle relaxer like methocarbomol. These medications in combination with the deramaxx can greatly improve a dog's symptoms. X-rays of the vertebra in her neck and spine would also be wise to be sure that there is more a more concerning disease process that should be addressed.

If this truly is a muscle spasm, one could expect her to make quick improvements after the medications have been started. Most pets improve within a few hours to a few days. It will also be imperative to ensure that she is walked on a harness and not a collar to avoid further strain on her neck. Most vets recommend that this is done for at LEAST 10 days following the cessation of the symptoms.

Also, I apologize about the delay. We've had some patchy weather here that has interfered with the internet service and caused a delay in my response.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is Libby doing?