Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

Dog just drank from pool after it was "shocked" yesterday -

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: so far nothing.. But there were massive amount of chemicals added yesterday to kill everything in it!
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I just said.. This was minutes ago. So far she is just coughing
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nellie- age 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nellie?
Customer: We have a call in to the vet but no answer yet. Should I hgave the dog pepto bismol? I think that is ehat they told me to do years ago when this also happened.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Nellie especially since this product can contain some nasty chemicals.

How much of the pool water did she drink?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

It looks as if you're offline which, hopefully, means that your vet called you back with suggestions.

Otherwise, I'd not induce vomiting since I'd worry that the chemicals might do more damage to her esophagus (if she drank a lot of the water, that is), especially if she's already coughing (which could mean that her throat is irritated).

If she only drank a small amount, then there's less of a concern for significant toxicity.

If this were my case, I'd suggest Pepcid AC (famotidine) as opposed to Pepto Bismol at a dose of 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day for a few days.

I'd monitor for signs of balance issues or mental changes; should they develop, a vet visit will be prudent.

More than likely, the chemicals were diluted enough in the pool water such that she'll be fine...hopefully, this is the case, anyway. Deb