Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

She was running hr yesterday and this morning sheis

Customer Question

Hi she was running for 2 hr yesterday and this morning sheis limping.. And i think she has something under her paw but she griwls when i touch it.. So i was wondering if there anything that i can give her to sedate her at hime to check her paw?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Something is there but she doesn't allow me to check.. I dnt want her to bite me
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chuy 3 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chum?
Customer: So far she pretty healthy no problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

You will need to make an emergency muzzle and use it on her in order to check her over. Here are instructions to make one.

Once you have that on, go ahead and check the paw well. Look for cuts on the pads and between them. Check for stones or splinters. Be gentle but check to see if there is any soreness in any of the joints. If you done find any obvious injury, gently move the paw and legs to see if she has dicomfort then. Often a muscle injury won't hurt if the owner moves it but will if the dog moves it.

If you find a cut or sore, I suggest soaking the paw 2-3 times a day with warm water and epson salt, disinfecting with hydrogen peroxide and applying Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream. I would then use a baby sock to keep the paw clean changing as it gets dirty.

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

If you do not see any improvement in a couple of days or it becomes swollen and inflamed, your Vet should see the dog. Strict cage rest with leashed walks for elimination purposes can help for a muscle strain.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.