Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is a Great Pyrenees and probably weighs close to 100 lbs

Customer Question

He is a Great Pyrenees and probably weighs close to 100 lbs he is very shy and timid he has a piece of barbed wire hung in his hair I did get close enough and grabbed it it's not in the meat it's tangled in his hair which is very long and thick getting him to a vet is not an option right now I live on disability and if I could get him calmed down log enough it wouldn't take a minute to get it out what would u suggest to calm him down as far as a med to just let me clip it out I'm scared he's going to try it himself and injure his gums and my pets are treated more like children than dogs and I am worried sick could u please help me
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No he is perfectly healthy is up to date on his shots from his vet and has been neutered as I said they are very well taken care of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I'd note that if it is very tangled, do avoid trying to tease it out of his hair and just plan to clip the hair above the wire to remove it quickly for him. Now in regards ***** ***** question, we are limited in OTC sedation options. That said, those over the counter drugs that can cause sedation may be an option. One you could choose to try is the anithistamine Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (1-2 mg per pound). The other is Dramamine (4 mg per pound). Both can cause lethargy and sedation and may just calm him enough to let you safely remove this without harm to him or yourself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet