Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog seems uncomfortable. She is stretching forward and

Customer Question

Hi, my dog seems uncomfortable. She is stretching forward and back, and has asked to go out three or four times in the last hour.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cali will be seven in august. she's a vizsla
JA: How old is Cali?
Customer: six almost seven
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cali?
Customer: last week she had chocolate poisoning, mild
JA: Did you see what Cali ate?
Customer: she got into a bag of wrapped chocolate candies and ate them wrappers and all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear Cali is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Can you tell me when she ate the chocolate?

What type of chocolate was it ( milk, dark etc)?

How many pieces do you think she may have eaten?

You mention she is asking to go out , is she passing stool when she goes out?

Has she had any vomiting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The chocolate episode was a 6/9/16. At the time she ate mixed chocolate candies in their wrappers. There was a mix of milk and dark with fillings like carmel etc.
Wrappers came out mostly in the poop but she did vomit three times over four days.
The only other sign of chocolate poisoning was excessive thirst.
She's been fine since Wednesday, eating and eliminating normally.
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

When she has been going out this morning is she passing stool each time or is she straining. If she is going is it normal.

After your response please give me just a few minutes to type up an answer for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's hard to see if she has gone at all. It was 4:30am when this started. I can go look now and see if i can see any poop in the yard.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was one fresh poop and she also went last night on our evening walk.
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

If you could check that would be great.

While it is long enough that I am not concerned about toxicity however from her actions we know that her abdomen is obviously painful.

At this point my concerns would be

1. Some of the wrappers have caused a blockage. In these cases we can see painful abdomen, trouble/staining to pass stool or loose stool.

2. Pancreatitis. Because of the high fat content in the chocolate this can result in pancreatitis. Left untreated it can start to shut down other organs such as the liver as well as cause permanent damage to the pancreas and even death.

Knowing that she passed stool last night is a good sign but we still need to keep an eye on her.

To help settle the stomach you can try Pepcid AC at a dose of 0.25mgs per pound of body weight and Gas X. A dog her size can take an adult dose of the Gas X. I would give the Gas X first wait 30 minutes and give the Pepcid.

Also keep an eye out for any bloating of the abdomen. If the abdomen becomes larger then normal, is hard, or she tries to vomit without producing anything this could indicate bloat. This would be an emergency as bloat can result in death in less then 2 hours.

If she shows any signs of bloat or the medications I suggested above do not seem to help I would have her seen today at your local ER.

One other thing I want to throw in her is that if she is not spayed and is 4-8 weeks out of her last heat then she would be at risk for a uterine infection called a pyometra.

Hopefully the medications will work and she will feel better soon.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. I'll try the Gas x and Pepcid. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome. I will be on most of the day, if you need anything please do not hesitate to come back and I will be happy to help at no additional charge.

Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?