Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog seems to show unconfortness w s nose

Customer Question

hello dr. my dog seems to show unconfortness w his nose
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no discharge shown nor heavy breathing. just makes nose as if trying to blow his nose as if it were stuffy. im scared he might have catch a cold or inhale some insect while sniffing grass
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Does he have equal airflow from each nostril when he breaths out (you can feel this with a finger a wee bit away from the nostril)?

Any coughing or sneezing?

Is he rubbing his nose at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just rubbing his nose from time to time like if he wants to blow it.
hes had these symtoms since friday afternoon.
he has equal airflow from esch nostril but they both seem wet.. clear
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that he has equal airflow from both nostrils as this reduces the risks of blockages. As well, if he is only rubbing from time to time, this makes bugs and foreign bodies less likely since often they will cause constant irritation (and often one sided nasal discharge). Therefore, with these aside, our main concerns would be possible allergies or a bacterial or viral infection.

With all of this in mind and since his signs sound mild, we can try some supportive care just now Of course, if you were to see snotty discharge (which is a sign of bacteria and an indication for antibiotics) or he doesn't settle; then we'd want to consider a check up with his vet once they are open to pinpoint which of these is present and treat it for him (ie anti-inflammatories, nasal flushing, etc).

Now in regards ***** ***** supportive care options, you can start by taking an take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make him a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room.

Furthermore, to flush out the nostrils and reduce irritation within them, you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses). To do so, just tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril if both are affected. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball.

Finally, to rule out allergies at the root of his signs, you can consider a trial on a low dose of OTC antihistamine. Commonly we use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a low dose (ie. 0.5-2mg per pound of his body weight twice daily) to reduce allergy induced inflammation. We like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if he has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for your lad. So, since those more serious issues are less likely, we'd want to start the above while monitoring him. If he settles, we are happy. Though if this lingers, we'd want a check once his vet is open to pinpoint the issue present and nip it in the bud for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )