Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog is a 4 y/o chihuahua I adopted from a rescue a month

Customer Question

hi there
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my dog is a 4 y/o chihuahua I adopted from a rescue a month ago
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: she has had bloody mucus in her stool
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: just yesterday and then this morning
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Chita
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Blood in the stool can be an indication of parasite or protozoa which can be taken care of by medication but your Vet would have to run a test on the stool to decipher which is present so the proper meds can be given.

It can also be a sign of something more serious so it should not be ignored.

I am going to direct you to a site that will go over causes for blood in the stool.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this morning there was no stool, it was just bloody goo.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I would take the dog to an Emergency Vet office today. Usually if your vet is not open they have a number in a message with who to take your dog to in an emergency.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what could that indicate????
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

It can mean there is intestinal upset or colitis.

Did the dog eat anything different before this happened?

It it bright red blood coming out?

Is he lethargic and not eating?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She hasn't had any scraps, regular food as usual. its like strings of bright red mucus, or tissue of some kind
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

It sounds like the pup may have gotten into something it should not have.

I would take the vital signs and make sure they are okay. If they are fine you can monitor until tomorrow and put her on a bland diet tonight of boiled chicken and cooked white rice.

One thing to worry about is hemorrhagic gastroenteritis from eating something it is not used to and this is serious and needs vet attention.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Here is a link on how to take the vital signs so you know if you have an emergency

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok - I also looked up colitis and she has all the signs of that, I can't imagine what she could have eaten I've been cleaning all weekend, but I'll keep an eye on her today and if it's still a problem I'll call my vet/take her to the vet ER
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I hope she feels better soon. Keep the water out for her so she continues to drink.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok - thank you!!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome. Have a nice day.