Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

5 days old bottle feeding...just now woke up and drank a

Customer Question

5 days old bottle feeding...just now woke up and drank a little. When I stimulated for pee it went a bit and then defecated a semi explosive white liquid.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lucy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: No...she was sucking well and we were trying different nipples today but she still drank.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What milk replacer are you using? Is it puppy specific?

Any vomiting?

Are her gums moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
puppy specific from veterinarian. Gums moist.
No vomitting.
Won't nurse now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on this pup's signs, it does sound like this is an early stage GI upset affecting the upper and lower gut. Since that diarrhea she passed suggests malabsorption, this could be related to a parasitic or bacterial gastroenteritis with secondary nausea leading to appetite loss.

Now since pups are very delicate and can easily become dehydrated or suffer with blood sugar crashes when they have GI signs, we do need to tread with care and be proactive. To start, if she appears weak at all, we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us.

If she isn't keen to drink after that or we see more diarrhea, we'd want to consider trying her with a small dose of Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. As wel, we can also use OTC Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber. These are kaolin based products for dogs specifically and also have canine probiotics which can help settle mild bacterial imbalances. And these all will coat the stomach on the way down and can reduce nausea. Otherwise, we could also give a small dose of Milk of Magnesia (0.1ml every 12 hours for one this small) to reduce nausea here.

Further to these, we'd want to continue to help her feed. So, we need to keep offering milk +/- diluting or offering electrolytes (ie Lectaid, Resorb, Pedialyte). These will help keep her hydrated and counter the losses from her diarrhea. As well, she may benefit from a heating pad to reduce her need to spend energy on keeping warm. Of course, if you use one, keep a close eye that she doesn't overheat.

So, this would be our plan of attack at this stage for Lucy. If she responds, we are happy. Though if we cannot get her eating after the above, then we'd want to have her local vet bypass her mouth with anti-nausea medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud for her and get her back to feeding properly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet