Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She is 19 years old and started bleeding from her bottom

Customer Question

She is 19 years old and started bleeding from her bottom tonight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no other health issues really, she takes medication to control her bladder
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, more or less?

Is it being passed with stool or just dripping from the rectum?

Does she seem sore? Any scooting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I ended up taking her to the ER. It was a large amount and came in waves and was only blood. Her bloodwork came back fine and they were unable to find anything on xray. We agreed to additional testing for cancer but unfortunately she passed away about 5 hours later. I do thank you for the response.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I am very sorry to hear that despite your being proactive that she did pass away.

Since we weren't able to aid you, I will pass your question back to customer service.

Please take care,

Dr. B.