Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

I have a 2.5 year old Rottweiler, as i was patting m the

Customer Question

i have a 2.5 year old Rottweiler, as i was patting him the other day, it was very lightly, when came towards the top of his back to the top of his back legs he started yelping. walks, runs fine with no problems at all. as i just do a morse code type tap his muscles tighten n yelps
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Conan that has just been sent through to me. I am sorry there hasn't been an expert available to answer your question already. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. This pain over the sacrum and hips is definitely a concern in a young Rottweiler and we need to consider a few possibilities here. Hopefully Conan had just pulled on of the muscles in this region (such as the quadriceps muscle or tendon) and if this was the case, then you should expect him to be more comfortable in this area within 1 week to 10 days. Even though you haven't seen him limping, we definitely need to consider whether he could have a primary developmental orthopaedic issue here such as hip dysplasia or a sacral issue. Young Rottweilers generally do start showing signs of pain to direct touch and pressure if they have early symptoms of hip dysplasia. If you bought Concan from a registered breeder, then you probably have some idea of his parent's hip scores. If they had low scores, then it is much less likely that his pain to touch over this area is due to hip dysplasia. Regardless of his parents scores (and whether you have them or not) we definitely still have to consider a primary hip problem. Sacral disease is much less common in young dogs, so unlikely here, but we certainly have to keep that in mind as well. Of course there is every chance that Conan got a bit to playful or boystrous in the last few days and that his discomfort is due to bruising, soft tissue pain.

So - the next best steps here will be to keep a close eye on your boy for the next 2 - 3 days. Try and limit the amount of off leash exercise he does for now, so you can monitor and limit his activity. If, when you patt him over the same area in a couple of days time, he is responding in exactly the same way, then you are best to get him along to your local vet. Here they can carry out a full physical exam including checking the range of movement of his hips, and I would also suggest full hip and sacral xrays to ensure everything is looking normal and to rule out any degree of hip dysplasia.

Hopefully Conan's pain is simply due to soft tissue injury (bruising) in which case he won't be responding like this within a couple of days. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Did you get a chance to take Conan along to your local vet? Or did his apparent pain over his sacrum improve?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E