Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog broke into my albuterol sulfate asthma solutinon

Customer Question

My dog broke into my albuterol sulfate asthma solutinon while I was sleeping. Do I need to do anything? He seems lathargic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jaden, 6 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jaden?
Customer: He was drinking a lot of water after.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear what happened to Jaden. I am Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. How long ago did this happen?

Yes, this can be serious. It happens more often than you would think! This can cause his heart rate to rise and it could be serious, depending on how much albuterol he got.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If his heart rate gets close to 200 beats per minute, he will need to be put on a beta blocker to slow down his heart, for as long as 24 hours. You can monitor his heart rate by putting your hand on his chest and counting how many times you feel a heartbeat in 15 seconds. If it is more than 40, I would think about taking him to emergency if you can.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I did not hear back from you! I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if you have any more questions.