Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

He is chewing on s feet and the Web between s toes is bright

Customer Question

He is chewing on his feet and the Web between his toes is bright red
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Theo and he is 14 MO ths
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Theo?
Customer: Grain. Allergies
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that your boy is having some trouble with his feet. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Can you tell me how long this has been going on?

Are you saying he has a history of grain allergies, any other allergies that you know of?

What food is he eating and how long has he been on this food?

Any history of itchy ears?

Are his feet the only thing that seems to be bothering him now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He had allergies early spring and local vet said he had a staph overgrowth an put him on an antibiotic and steroids which was very effective. He now eats blue wilderness grain free food and has no overall skin issues - just his feet
Expert:  Candy replied 5 months ago.

Ok thank you. Please give me just a few minutes to type up an answer.

Expert:  Candy replied 5 months ago.

Allergies in general are one of my areas of interest and I do want to make sure that your vet thoroughly discussed food allergies with you. While some dogs can be allergic to grains it is more common for them to be allergic to the actual protein source in the food. The feet are one of the most common areas effected by food allergies. While the Blue is a good food you want to make sure you are feeding a single protein source food and preferably one that is what we call a novel protein. Novel protein are duck, rabbit, kangaroo, bison. Check the ingredients on the bag because while the food may say one flavor such as beef or chicken Blue normally combines several protein sources in one food. You want to avoid beef, chicken, lamb.

Staph overgrowth is very common in dogs with allergies and this is normally a direct result of itching or licking.

Considering it is his feet this could also be an allergy to things like grass.

To help with over all environmental allergies you can start a dog on local honey. It must be local and raw. Give 1 teaspoon daily. This helps to slowly expose the body to all of the local pollen's allowing the body to build up a natural resistance.

To help now you can try the following

1. Soak the feet twice daily for 5 minutes in a mix of 75% water 25% apple cider vinegar.

2. Use an E collar or socks to prevent licking. If we do not stop the licking he will likely end up with another infection requiring medication.

3. Oral Benadryl can be used at a dose of 1-2mgs per pound of body weight 2-3 times per day, or Zyrtec at a dose of 0.5mgs per pound twice daily.

4. Use either Cortisone spray or ointment on the feet to help stop the itching.

5. Keep a pie pan or dish pan with clean water inside the front door. Every time he goes out rinse his feet when he comes in. This will remove any pollen on his feet in case this is due to a grass allergy.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy